Friday, February 1, 2008

Another Pat's superbowl opinion and prediction...

Right about this time, most of us football fans are sick to DEATH from all of the sports-wonk analysis, predictions, injury-innuendo and just plain nonsense. Even local sports talk radio is flooded with talk of the super bowl. It is as if they are trying to INVENT issues to talk about because what more can be said? Truth is, we sports fans just want the damn game to be played and stop talking about it.

But I am NOT going to take my own advice....LOL...and this is just one more stupid, insipid and rank discourse about the upcoming 42nd superbowl.

The first thing I would like to say, is that I am NOT a Patriot's fan. I am a Tampa Bay Buc's fan. But having said that, I am pulling hard for the Pat's to win this game. Because I want to SEE sports history.

What the Patriot's have done to this point is literally unparalleled in the history of the sport. And I believe 100% absolutely already eclipses ANYTHING that the 1972 Dolphins did!

Let's face it, at the time the Dolphins had their magical undefeated season, they did it in a time when the NFL was not nearly as deep and talented, or as even in parity, as it is today. And that makes what the Pat's have done to date even that much MORE impressive. They have won MORE games while going undefeated than any other team in NFL history. But here is the problem they have. They have now set the bar SO high, that the ONLY possible satisfactory outcome for them is to finish it off with a Super Bowl Championship. If this team finishes 18-1, that would be considered a failure?! Yes, a team that went 18-1, but did NOT win the Super Bowl would be a failure. At least in the eyes of history they will be. This is like the MLB Seattle Mariners, who were the winningest team in baseball a few years ago not winning the World Series. Which is why I think that this 42nd edition of the Super Bowl, will be the biggest viewed televised sporting event in the history of the NFL, and MAYBE of any single game event in the history of TV sports broadcasts.

Regardless of whether you want the Pat's to lose, the Giant's to win, or the Pat's to stamp their mark in NFL history, you WILL be watching. Even those casual football fans that care nothing about either team, (like me). I WILL be watching, because I want to see history unfold, if it indeed happens. But at the same time, if Giants look like they are going to win, I am also going to be turning the station. Because I honestly have NO interest in seeing the Giants win, or the Pat's lose. Only in seeing if the Pat's can finish off this run.

Late sunday evening, we will know.

Oh, and my prediction? Give me the Pat's by 8.5 over the G-men. I think it will be closer than many think.

No comments: