Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Love him or hate...Bob Knight was centerstage

In shocking news last night we learned that Bob Knight is abruptly retiring as HC of the Texas Tech Red Raiders. My first reaction to this news was, "Man, I really hope this is because he wants to, and not because of some type of health or family crisis." I still hope that is the case today. But from everything we know, he was just tired of the gig.

I have to admit, I am one of the probably hundreds to thousands that both respect and despise Bob Knight.

I respect him for all that he did off the court for his players and his community. His sincere and honest care for not only the player to achieve as an athlete, but also in the classroom and as individuals. I achieved this respect years ago, when Bob Knight did something I have never heard of being done before, or since, in college basketball. During one season, Knight was reviewing the players grades from the semester, and even though all of them were passing grades well enough to be eligible to play basketball, Knight benched 3 of his 5 starters for the next game, because the players were not getting grades high enough. What coach today would even DREAM of benching a player for not getting higher than required NCAA eligibility grades?

I respect him for what he brought to the game of basketball. His motion offense and tough defense.

I despise him as an opponent and his tirades. If there was ever a coach I never wanted UL to face it was Bob Knight. Even though UL did well, he was a terrifying opponent, and he just hated opposing fans.

I wish Bob Knight all the best and hope his retirement years bring as much success to him as his years of success on the court have.

No comments: