Saturday, March 29, 2008

Back in town....after my personal March Madness

After traveling all week, I am back in town today, after taking my own version of March Madness.

Every year, I take week, head off to Florida for a week of fishing and spring baseball. With a lot of drinking in the mix. This year was a little later than I normally go, but still a great time.

I know that most who would read this are very much caught up in Louisville's run in the NCAA tournament. And rightly so.

But this weekend ends the regular spring training and begins the regular major league baseball season.

After watching some teams in Florida I have some predictions for the MLB season.

To keep things simple, I will start with my overall predictions for the season division winners, and then break the divisions down a little more in seperate blog entries.

Since many in our area are Cincinnati Reds fans, let's start with the NL Central.

NL Central

The Chicago Cubs are the favorites to repeat as the NL Central champs. Despite some very big question marks about Rich Hill's control. Jason Marquis will get the starting nod over Hill, and Hill will head to Iowa for more development. Kerry Woods is tagged as the closer now, and you have to wonder if that might create some bullpen hard feelings with Carlos Marmol, who was easily the best closer in the NL last year. But if anyone can handle clubhouse issues, it is Lou Pinella.

The Brewers still have a very good pitching staff, with Sheets and Suppan, but Sheets must stay healthy, because Gagne has not been good at all. Still, they have a very powerful lineup. But I think they are in for some "clubhouse" problems, with some of their off-season trades.

The surprise in the NL Central will be the Cincinnati Reds I think. Unknown pitchers before the spring season started of Volquez and Cueto have been EXTREMELY good. So good that up and coming phenom Homer Bailey, who has struggled a bit adjusting to MLB hitters, has been optioned down to the Bats, to let him continue to develop. Which just shows how deep that rotation could be.

The Cardinals, Astros and Pirates will fight for the basement in the NL Central, and I think the winner, (or loser), for last place will again be the Pirates. They have looked really bad in spring.

My prediction for the NL Central Winner: Chicago Cubs!!!

No comments: