Thursday, November 1, 2007

When is scoring too much?

Originally, I was not going to write about this, but upon reading the head coach response to Kansas HS Smith Center's 83-0 win, (including a 72 point 1st QUARTER assault), I have to weigh in on this.

The reason I have to comment is because I completely DIS-agree with Smith Center HC Roger Barta's response to his team mid-way through the 2nd quarter. When a HC stands up in front of his players and tells them, not only that no one else on the team is going to score, but also that even if they get close to the goal line to literally "fall down at the 5 yard line", then I HAVE to take exception to the HC's decision.

I completely understand that this is prep football, and that Barta had NO desire to embarrass the kids from Plainville HS, (the opposing team that suffered this beatdown). And I do completely agree with Barta's decision to pull all of his 1st string offensive players in the 1st quarter and all of his 1st string defensive players in the 2nd quarter. That I agree with. If those kids in Plainview were THAT outclassed by the talent-level then putting in your 2nd and 3rd teams is a way to try and give the opposing kids a chance at being competitive.

But I think it sends completely the wrong message to tell kids to DELIBERATELY "throw in the towel" and literally throw the game. Because in all actuality that is what Barta told his team. "Give up." In Kansas there were already rules pertaining to blowout wins to try and protect the ego's and psyches of young players. One such rule is that once the game reaches a 40 point margin the clock never stops, even on time outs or change of possessions. And, BTW, a sidebar note, it was NOT as if Smtih Center was throwing the ball all over the field. The Smith Center Redmen only attempted 3, yes, 3, total passes all night, and only completed two of them. All in the first quarter and only went for a TD. Every other play they called all night long was a running play.

As a former youth athlete myself, having an opposing team that was beating the hell out of me actually start LETTING me try to win, was even MORE embarrassing than them just continuing to stomp me. At least I knew that the opposing team respected me and my teammates, we just sucked. But when you suck AND your opposing team deliberately takes a dive on you that just made me mad, and was really embarrassing the next day.

It is not up to teams to stop themselves. It is up to the opponents they play to stop them, or continue to be stopped themselves. Whichever the case may be. (Afterall, Plainview did not score the entire night.) By having the team that was that far ahead give up, then why should I, (as an opposing player), continue to play hard? What's the point then?

Sometimes, in sports, you get your head handed to you. Just like in life. And it is how you deal with those adversities which determine part of your character. I think in deciding to "lay down" Barta completely disrespected the kids who played for Plainview, and was more concerned with how HE would look by continuing to run his offense, and the game, than what it meant for the kids of Plainview to try and fight their way back and make the game respectable.

No comments: